Fire ants are an invasive species that have become an increasingly big problem in Arkansas in recent years. These ants are extremely protective of their colony and will bite or sting any perceived threats. Their bites and stings are painful, but to make matters worse, many people are naturally allergic to fire ant stings. It’s not uncommon to experience dizziness, nausea, swelling, or respiratory problems after an encounter with them.
As a local expert in pest control, Delta Pest Control Inc has extensive experience in dealing with fire ants. In this article we’ll talk about some of the things you should know about them, including how to eliminate fire ants.
How Can You Prevent Fire Ants in Your Yard?
It may seem like fire ant hills can pop up without warning, but there are some features that make some yards more attractive to them than others. Here are a few simple yard maintenance tricks that can help prevent fire ants:
- Trim all vegetation including trees, shrubs, bushes and grass often.
- If you have fruit trees, pick ripe fruit and collect any that drops to the ground.
- Spread mulch evenly and keep it far from your foundation to prevent moisture buildup.
- Be on the lookout for dirt mounds that might pop up in your yard. If you see red ants scurrying around near an ant hill or mound, especially in the Arkansas area, there’s a good chance they’re fire ants.
Don’t forget to check out our lawn service too, which can help keep your yard in tip-top shape and fire ant-free.
Need An Estimate for Ant Control?
Can You Eliminate Fire Ants Yourself?
People want to know if there are any reliable ways to kill fire ants naturally. If you find a fire ant nest in your yard, there are two natural treatment methods you can try to get rid of them:
- Diatomaceous earth: When ants come in contact with diatomaceous earth, the tiny sharp crystals damage their exoskeleton. As it builds up, they lose moisture and die of dehydration.
- Boiling water: Fight fire with water? Many people claim to have success with this fire ant control method, but it can be hit or miss. You may not kill all of the fire ants in the nest. Also, boiling water can kill off your plants.
Is Store Bought Spray Effective?
Store-bought sprays can be effective against fire ants. Just make sure you’re following instructions to the letter. If not, you risk the treatment failing or exposing your family or pets to insecticide.
If you are considering store-bought treatments, it’s worth considering hiring a experienced ant exterminator.
Avoiding Fire Ants In Arkansas
If you want to be 100% sure that the fire ants on your property are gone and not coming back, talk to your local pest control company.
Delta Pest Control Inc is experienced with fire ant infestations across Arkansas and the surrounding area. We work with residential and commercial clients and know how to get the best results over the immediate and long term. Let us design a custom fire ant treatment plan for you – contact us today for a free quote!Back to Ant Exterminators – Control – Removal